The Anatomical Theatre
Six laps of the stage in walnut cut to witness the spectacle of teaching. In Padua, in 1595, the teaching of medicine through the dissection of corpses was done in the first permanent theater in the world. As for historical documents anatomy lessons during Renaissance were performed in temporary structures. These used to be assembled and disassembled depending on use. Girolamo Fabrici d’Acquapendente was a teacher and that is the reason with Padua theatre resulted so functional that all others universities took it as a model. The classroom was designed so that all students could have a view effectively over the corpse. Up to 300 students could follow the lessons while sitting in the 6 elliptical stages and have a good visibility. And to make the candlelight atmosphere less gloomy the lesson used to be accompanied with live music. The theater remained in use until 1872 and today can be visited in the course of guided tours of Palazzo Bo, even if the visit is allowed only from below.